Noel White is a painter in watercolour and oil, a print maker and engraver. He lives and works in East Sussex.
In Noel’s paintings there is a sense of shifting artistic reality, achieving almost unlimited chromatic variation, with the result of wonderful colour. The world of his pictures is in a state of flux: everything is coming to be. We are attending Creation. Artist Joy Griffiths in Mary and the Creation (2005) p. 11.
Genesis (1999) oil on canvas, 106.5 x 152cm
Background Back to top ▲
- 1939 Born in London.
- 1954-57 Studied under Warren Storey, Weston-super-Mare School of Art.
- 1957-59 West-of-England College of Art.
- 1973-74 State Scholar, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 1970-71 College of the Venerable Bede, University of Durham.
- 1971-82 Central School of Art and Design, London.
- 1974-75 School of Fine Art, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 1975-89 Maidstone College of Art.
- 1985 Visitor, Slade School of Fine Art, London.
- 1985 Visitor, St Martin’s School of Art, London.
The Lordly Ones (1957) wood engraving, 15.5 x 13 cm
- 1957 Art Colleges’ Art Examinations National Touring Exhibition.
- 1970 First Solo Exhibition, Skive, Denmark.
- 1981 Ten Years’ Work, Eastbourne.
- 1985 Jerusalem.
- 1991 Volgograd, Russia.
- 1994 Jerusalem.
- 1995 ‘Pastorals and Premonitions’, Lewes.
- 1997 Lahr, Germany.
- 2005 Major retrospective, ‘Mary and the Creation’, Edinburgh Festival Fringe, St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh.
- 2005 Featured in ‘Visionaries’, Wallspace, London.
- 2005 ‘Paintings and drawings’, Mayfair, London.
- 2009 ‘The Sacred Wood’, Mayfair, London.
- 2014 Work shown alongside the engravings of David Jones and related works, an exhibition held in Regent’s Park College, Oxford, and in the accompanying catalogue David Jones: the Furrowed Line.
Artistic and Cultural Collaborations Back to top ▲
- 1975 With the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh, arranged the first showing in Britain of Vasily Kandinsky’s late paintings. Accompanying catalogue produced with the approval of Mme Nina Kandinsky.
- 1985 Artist in Residence, Mishkenot Sha’ananim, Jerusalem.
Jerusalem Dog (1985) watercolour, 57.5 x 78.5 cm
- 1988 Shared exhibition with Designer Goldsmith, John Donald, Bloomsbury, London.
- 1991 Visiting artist in a Russia on the cusp of political change, hosted by the USSR Cultural Fund, for the purpose of exhibiting at Volgograd Museum of Fine Art and sponsored by the Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers.
Poster designed by Russian artist Vladislav Koval, featuring Diminution of the Beast (1985).
- 1994 Artist in Residence, Mishkenot Sha’ananim, Jerusalem.
- 1994 Exhibited ‘Downland Images’ at Glyndebourne New Opera House.
- 1996 Exhibited at the Patristic and Byzantine Society’s academic conference ‘From Constantinople to Moscow’, Hellenic Cultural Centre, London.
- 2000 Commemorative painting for the twentieth century: ‘Madonna of the Veil’, exhibited in the House of St Gregory and St Macrina, Oxford; the annual conference of the Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius, Ushaw College, Durham; and the Etchingham Music Festival. A detail of the image appears on the front cover of the sacred music CD: Sir Peter Maxwell Davies: Sacred Choral Works, Choir of St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh, Matthew Owens (Delphian Records, 2008).
- 2002 Exhibition and lecture in connection with a cultural exchange of British and Bulgarian academics and artists in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- 2002 Dedication of installed engraved glass panels featuring St Columba and St Ninian in St Ninian’s Episcopal Church, Edinburgh.
- 2013 Drawings for glass engraved images of saints exhibited in chapel for a special event to mark 750th anniversary of Balliol College, Oxford, with Orthodox Vespers for St Catherine of Alexandria sung by the cantors Alexander Lingas and Jordan Banev.
- 2014 Arranged an exhibition of David Jones’ engravings and other works alongside paintings of related artists in connection with a major conference on the painter and poet David Jones at Regent’s Park College, Oxford.
Publications Back to top ▲
available from the Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius www.sobornost.org
- Noel White, ‘A Painter’s Perspective: David Jones and ‘The Break’, in David Jones: The Furrowed Line. Catalogue of an Exhibition, with contributions by Noel White, Kallistos Ware, Paul Fiddes, Andrew Louth and James Hanvey SJ, ed. Rebecca White (Oxford: Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius, 2014), pp. 7-36.
- Noel White, ‘Time in the Aesthetic Dimension of Visual Art’, Kronoscope: Journal for the Study of Time 8 (2008), pp. 29-39.
- Noel White, Obituary, John Heath Stubbs, Sobornost/ECR 29:1 (2007), pp. 87-94.
- Mary and the Creation. A catalogue of paintings, drawings and etchings by Noel White, with introductory remarks by Joy Griffiths, Kallistos Ware, Noel White (Oxford: Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius, 2005).
- Noel White, ‘Madonna of the Veil’, Art and Christianity Enquiry Bulletin ACE 33 (January 2003), p. 5.
- Noel White, ‘View From the Volga’, Arts Review Year Book (1992), pp. 69-71.
- E. Platonov, ‘Solar Spray of the Imagination’, Arts Review Year Book (1992), p. 71.
- Noel White, Preface, Wassily Kandinsky 1866-1944 [Exhibition Catalogue] (Edinburgh: Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, 1975).
- Noel White features in F. Spalding, Dictionary of Twentieth Century Painters and Sculptors (1991) and D. Buckman, Dictionary of Artists in Britain since 1945 (1998).